Monday, February 11, 2008

gOS 2 Rocket (beta)

I had wanted to try this distribution ever since I read about it, because it runs elightenment 17, a window manager I've been itching to mess around with for a while. I never expected I'd like it a lot, since ubuntu-based distros aren't usually my thing and it is a beta release, however, I was so impressed with it that it has found a permanent spot on my laptop's hard drive. (Well, maybe, but I tend to use it as a test-bed, so it may get blown away or screwed up eventually, but I'll probably reinstall it if it does.) It is fast and lightweight, and very polished. The wonderful configurability of e17 makes the kde in me very happy. Also, it is surprisingly stable considering the fact that gos 2 is a beta AND e17 is (as far as I know) an alpha. When I log out (not shutdown/reboot) though, it does often crash and give an error message. However, I don't log out much, and if that happens, I just hit exit on the error message, and I get logged out anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. Great job to the developers of e17 and the creators of gOS!

No comments: